Just signin’ some Beta Testing The Apocalypse. Get your own signed copy (with a free Skyway Sleepless!) here.
Unused & unfinished page from ‘Music For Neanderthals’ (collected in Beta Testing the Apocalypse).
So, I’m continuing the cover process for the Beta Testing the Apocalypse cover. Previous parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. In the last post, I was showing the evolution of the color. This time I’m focusing on the type design.
This was the first iteration. I wanted to typographically mirror the ‘beta testing’ concept by having some kind of wireframe version of the type present… it was a little too much.
I still wanted they type to be somehow active… but not quite as hyperactive as here.
This is pretty close to what I settled on. The drawing had so much going on in it, that I decided the type needed to be more subtle and clean… so the two elements won’t compete with each other.
The next task was color. I started out by blocking out areas that were closer to the viewer… more in focus.
I ended up subdividing the line art into three ‘layers’ apparent below. Initially I wanted a limited 2-3 color palette… but it quickly became obvious that the detail demanded something else…
I eventually settled on this general color palette… but it still needed more.
This is how the final color scheme ended up.
If you’re just joining us, check out parts 1, 2, 3.
It took me a while to work up the nerve to ink this thing. Normally I would’ve inked most of the building with rules & rapidographs. But I decided against it… Since everything was so rigidly planned out, I wanted to have a more organic line in the finishing process. Click on the image to super-size.