A new stream of blog (that sounds vaguely obscene) has began to flow through the wilderness of the interweb. But it’s not a wild and chaotic brook, rather a finely chiseled flume. It meanders, certainly, but along a pleasing and picturesque path… er… … Blog Flume, is a new blog (what else?) launched recently ago by Alvin Buenaventura, Jonathan Bennett, Tim Hensley, Todd Hignite and Ken Parille. So far it’s been a great read. Some standouts: Tim Hensley presents a slideshow he delivered at a lecture at the Hammer Museum. It’s about Suiho Tagawa, the creator of Norakuro. It’s excellent despite using some of my amateurish photos from the Norakuro Museum in Tokyo. Jonathan Bennett looks at the work of Charley Harper and 1000 frames of Hitchcock. Ken Parille brief look at cartoonist Pete Morisi. There’s plenty more. Take a look.
FREE 2015by David B., Niv Bavarsky, Box...smallpresspreviews: FREE 2015by David B., Niv Bavarsky, Box Brown, Patrick Crotty, Max de Radiguès, Hanna K., Alex Kim, Laura Knetzger, Kate Leth, Jason Little, Matt Madden, Jane Mai, Melissa Mendes, Oliver Schrauwen, Ben Sears, Jack Teagle, Derek Van Gieson, François Vigneault, cover by Chuck ForsmanPublished by Retrofit Comics / Big Planet ComicsCo-published with Oily Comics […]
- 046. Petrified Forest.046. Petrified Forest.
- thisiscitylab:Le Corbusier and the Biology of Beauty in Design...thisiscitylab:Le Corbusier and the Biology of Beauty in Design [Photo: Flickr/Phil Beard]
- 45. Arch Rival.45. Arch Rival.
- sketchbookcity:Iowa State University, Zenghelis Masterclass
The...sketchbookcity:Iowa State University, Zenghelis Masterclass The Profane Section. “Beauty should be edible or not at all.” -Salvador Dali firstname.lastname@example.org
- New work from Derek Van GiesonDerek Van Gieson is hard at work on new comics, and so far they look awesome!
- Kevin Huizenga reports on Autoptic for The Comics JournalThe cartoonist responsible for Glenn Ganges now has a column at The Comics Journal, and his inaugural effort focuses on Autoptic, Minneapolis’ only festival dedicated to independent culture. He reports on those organizing, his recent move to Minneapolis and the stomach flu. Autoptic is the weekend of August 8th and 9th. Read Huizenga’s column here.
- Murder Shoes play The Hexagon, tonightDerek Van Gieson’s (Eel Mansions) band Murder Shoes have a show tonight in Minneapolis at The Hexagon. Doors open at 8 p.m., no cover charge. Check out the band’s latest EP here.
- Incidents in the Night a ‘Best of 2015′ at PasteBest of the year (so far) lists are popping up, and David B.’s Incidents in the Night has made Paste Magazine’s for comics. Whether it’s read as a strange meditation on storytelling and obsession or a detective story unlike any other, this volume of Incidents in the Night has plenty of strange and compelling narratives […]