I was digging around in iPhoto for something and I found a few pics from the closing party to the Sweat Stains, Beer, And Cigarettes show from a few weeks back. I promptly uploaded them to Flickr. My big discovery of the show was the art of Bill Hauser. He works primarily as an illustrator and creates a ton of cover art for a variety of bands. I really like his old school, cartoony take on horror… and he has the chops to pull it off very well. I also really like his hand-made typography. Again, it’s cartoony, but the type is always tight, well arranged, with interesting letter forms. More Pics here.
FREE 2015by David B., Niv Bavarsky, Box...smallpresspreviews: FREE 2015by David B., Niv Bavarsky, Box Brown, Patrick Crotty, Max de Radiguès, Hanna K., Alex Kim, Laura Knetzger, Kate Leth, Jason Little, Matt Madden, Jane Mai, Melissa Mendes, Oliver Schrauwen, Ben Sears, Jack Teagle, Derek Van Gieson, François Vigneault, cover by Chuck ForsmanPublished by Retrofit Comics / Big Planet ComicsCo-published with Oily Comics […]
- 046. Petrified Forest.046. Petrified Forest.
- thisiscitylab:Le Corbusier and the Biology of Beauty in Design...thisiscitylab:Le Corbusier and the Biology of Beauty in Design [Photo: Flickr/Phil Beard]
- 45. Arch Rival.45. Arch Rival.
- sketchbookcity:Iowa State University, Zenghelis Masterclass
The...sketchbookcity:Iowa State University, Zenghelis Masterclass The Profane Section. “Beauty should be edible or not at all.” -Salvador Dali email@example.com
- Paste Magazine on Incidents in the NightThere’s a new review of David B.’s Incidents in the Night: Book 2 up at Paste. The artwork here showcases characters both grotesque and elegant: Travers’s gang in particular features a memorable selection of grotesques: a rogue’s gallery that could serve as the dictionary illustration for the term … The story being told is cerebral and […]
- Independent Publishing as ArtCatch a live broadcast of a discussion between Jean-Christophe Menu and Bill Kartalopoulos tonight at the Alliance Française in Minneapolis. Menu is a founder of the French publishing houses L’Association and L’Apocalypse. David B. readers may recognize the L’Association handle, as he’s also a founder. The discussion will cover, as the title suggests, the art of independent publishing. […]
- Borb reviewed at Cleaver MagazineReviewer Jesse Allen writes that while Jason Little’s Borb “is a comic strip, its impact is novelistic in every sense.” Read his nice write-up here. If you haven’t yet, order a copy of Borb for yourself from our website.
- The Quietus reviews Incidents in the Night: Book 2For The Quietus, Aug Stone writes that David B.’s latest is “a great occult detective story.” Poetically told, rich in religious and societal allegory as well as knowledge of occult histories, Incidents In The Night 2 is full of strange delights, both large and small. Read the full review here. We have copies in stock, so […]